Whiterock Weyr

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whiterock Weyr

A dragon adoption game based on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern.

The Rules of the Game

Kitsuneko
    Kitsuneko
    Admin

The Rules of the Game Empty The Rules of the Game

Post  Kitsuneko Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Rules of the Community:
    General Rules:
    1. Play nice, basically. Keep the cursing to a minimum and take any grudges with other members to e-mail or private messages.
    2. DO NOT steal my images, alter them, pass them out to other places, or claim them as your own. This will likely result in getting you banned, and the appropriate authorities notified wherever you put them.
    3. Feel free to ask questions, post comments or offer advice! It's always welcome. You can either post them in the forum topic or e-mail me with 'Whiterock Weyr' in the subject.

The following rules will always be posted at the beginning of the appropriate round. Try to review them real quick if you're unsure of something before asking about it.

Clutches and Hatchings
    Starting on Fridays, a new round begins. A Clutching round is the only time when new candidates are accepted. In order to get a dragon, you must send in a character to Impress it. All the information you really need is a name, gender, and the answers to the quiz that accompanies the form. The quiz helps to determine what color dragon your character is most likely to Impress, but even a perfect bronzerider personality is not guaranteed the color they want. Which dragons hatch when is determined randomly, and there's not always going to be a perfect ratio of personality types or gender in the candidates. The only sure thing is if you state that you absolutely do NOT want a certain color. (You might want to specify that you, the creator, do not want them to Impress that color, not just that the character doesn't care for it. Near the end of a hatching, the dragons may have no choice but to Impress characters who otherwise would avoid them.) You're still not guaranteed a dragon if there's a surplus of candidates though.

1. The quiz can help your chances of getting the color you want, but the final result is still a matter of chance. Please don't whine or ask to redo it if you get something other than you wanted.
    2. You may send up to two candidates to a single clutch, but there's no limit for your total number of dragons. Please complete a new form for each candidate. (Different Name/Gender/Quiz thing for each candidate. I don't mind if they're both on the same post).
    3. There's no limit to the total number of candidates accepted for a clutch, so if it ends up more candidates than eggs, your character may not Impress. Better luck next time. Alternatively:
    If there ends up being a surplus of dragons with not enough candidates, I'll bond the extra dragons to NPC characters. I usually keep two for myself (since I don't submit candidate otherwise) and any others will be available for adoption, first come, first serve, with one NPC per person
    4. Any candidates who don't Impress would have to be submitted again to the next clutch, but there's no limit to how many times they can stand.
    5. In general, girls Impress gold and green, boys Impress blue, brown, and bronze. Male-female and female-male pairings are rare but possible, depending on availability of suitable candidates and the dragons' own quirky personalities. Sexuality doesn't enter into it.
    6. You are allowed to name your dragons after they impress, but they must end in -th like all all Pernese dragons. You can let me know what they are by either: PMing it to me; posting a reply in the hatching thread; or replying to the rider list post, any way works.
    7. Dragons are not considered adults until a full cycle has been completed, three weeks after their hatching; the rider list contains information about what clutch they hatched from and whether they are considered adults or weyrlings--this will be updated as soon as possible after the Hatching is posted.
    8. The only information I need for your candidate is name, gender and quiz answers. Dragons come with their color and a personality trait or quirk. You need never develop the characters beyond this, but embellish them however you want. There may be a roleplay area if anyone's interested.
    --If you're going to use Shard's Candidate Generator, would you mind expanding on your answer a bit when you have one of the alternate responses? It gets a bit difficult to judge with what basically amounts to a blank answer.

Mating Flights
    Now that the clutch has hatched, it's time for the queens to think about rising to mate. Anyone with an adult gold dragon can choose to have her mate this time around, but only one will actually be accepted. Once the rising queen has been chosen, the bronze and brown chasers can start applying to chase her. At the end of the week, the riser will choose the dragon who catches her and the clutch will be laid.

1. Only adult dragons can rise and chase, obviously. Smile
    2. Only one dragon can rise at a time; she cannot mate twice in a row. (Unless there's no other available golds.)
    3. Only gold dragons can rise to mate. Bronzes and browns can chase them. Bronzes SHOULD be a lot more likely to catch the queen than browns, but...
    4. The owner of the female chooses who catches her dragon, so she has the final say.
    4. Gold-Bronze matings can produce any color, Gold-Brown matings cannot produce queen eggs and have fewer bronzes, but more browns.
    5. Golds participate in Threadfall, but are a little less likely to die, since little Thread gets through to them. Greens are assumed to chew firestone and fight Thread directly, which prevents them from mating to clutch.
    6. If the beginning of a mating round comes around and I haven't received any golds rising, I will automatically pick a dragon to rise that round and choose the winner randomly. If you really do not want me using your gold dragon for this purpose, let me know and I'll work out something else, though this probably (hopefully) will not be necessary.

Threadfall
    A Threadfall round lasts five (real) days, and the following Item round is generally open until the next round has finished. A Threadfall can start at any time, and they can overlap. After the round is announced, characters have four days to announce their intention to fly. On the fifth day the actual Fall itself takes place, and a series of random dice rolls decides how your character does.
    Each character begins with a set amount of HP at the beginning of the fall, injuries sustained fighting Thread cause this number to go down. If it reaches zero, the character dies. If they survive, all HP is refilled at the end of the Fall. Each time a dragon successfully destroys a piece of Thread, they win a point. 'Critical hits' can occur for particularly large clumps destroyed, which earn more points than normal. This is, again, randomly determined. Threads which injure or even kill a rider still earn the owner points.

I use a random generator to decide the outcomes. (Because, sorry, if I kept using the charts and random.org, I would have been completely burnt out a long time ago.)
    Each color of dragon has different abilities in battle against Thread.
    Golds 10 HP: Only roll three times--no modifiers
    Bronzes 15 HP: Roll 7 times--no modifiers
    Browns 10 HP: Roll 5 times--for each success, 25 % chance +1 point
    Blues 10 HP: Roll 5 times--50% chance of rerolling a miss.
    Greens 8 HP: Roll 3 times--for each success, flip a 'coin'. Extra points are doubled for each 'heads'.

1. People will die in Threadfall. Deal with it. There's nothing keeping you from getting as many dragons as you want. Enough points will eventually allow you to redeem items belonging to a deceased rider for a fraction of the original price and even allow you to bring a dead rider back to life.
    2. Dragons don't /have/ to fight Thread and, therefore, possibly die, but they won't be able to earn any points.
    3. All adult dragons can participate in Threadfall. Golds don't get many chances to destroy Thread, but they're less likely to die as a result. The other colors fight Thread directly, earning more points, and have a higher chance of being injured and killed.
    5. There's an overall limit of 15 adult dragons who can participate in a single Threadfall round, though it may be run with less than that. Weyrlings are also limited to a total of 15. Dragons are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. There's no specific limit on how many of each you can submit, but please be considerate of others and leave spaces for other dragons.
    6. A single dragon cannot be entered in more than one Threadfall round at a time. If s/he's already signed up for round 6 and round 7 opens before that one's been flown, that dragon will have to wait until round 6 has finished, if there are any spots left open by then. This includes Weyrlings.
    7. Your characters can only die if you have two or more adult dragons.
    8. Weyrlings are allowed to participate in Threadfall, by supplying the adult dragons with extra firestone. Weyrlings are less likely to get hit, but when they are scored, they tend to have more serious injuries than the experienced riders. They'll have two chances to earn points--of course, they could always miss, in which case, they're out of luck. Razz Weyrlings cannot use any items they may have attached.
    9. There is not going to be a Pass-Interval system, simply because it would take too long; hence the AU nature of the Weyr. I was going to have limit on the dragons where they would retire after 70 cycles, but I decided to trash that, too. Razz So nothing will cause your dragons to be taken from you except death by threadfall.

Wings are organized into three different levels: Level 1 is the highest, it's easier to score points, but you may take more damage. Level 2 is the mid-level, it's pretty much average. Level 3 is the lowest, there is less thread, so there'll fewer points and fewer injuries. (Both of which will manifest as a higher number of misses rather than a different number of rolls.) Any rider can fly on any level.

Items
    Once Threadfall ends and your points have been tallied up, the Item round begins and you can actually buy stuff. Some items give you bonuses in Threadfall, others are pets or tattoos for your dragon. There are even some that will allow you to get back some things lost by dying riders.

1. Any character can benefit from an item bought with points earned by another of your dragons, even if that character is still a weyrling.
    2. Points are detracted from your account as soon as they are used. Once a purchase is made, it can not be undone, so choose carefully.
    3. Item benefits do not stack; if you buy a more powerful item with the same effect for the same character, the weaker item will be effectively erased.
    4. The equipment (reusable items) cannot be traded or removed from the rider once attached, except by using the Forgery Tools. One-use items are not attached to any rider until the Threadfall round starts. Items, including the one-use numbweed, can only be attached to a single character at a time.
    5. You can only attach one item from a certain effect group to the same character, but that character can have any number of items of different effect groups attached, unless stated otherwise. (i.e. A rider can only have one type of Fire/Flamestone, switching from one to the other would erase the effects of the former.) Effect groups, for example, are: (Normal or Good) Fire/Flamestone; Safety Equipment (Safety/Wherhide straps); (Normal or Good) Numbweed.
    The Cup of Klah and Lucky Charm items can be combined with any or all of the above.
    6. When a character dies, any items attached to them are lost with them--but there is a way to get them back...
    7. You can only buy items during the items round, which is right after a Threadfall round. A useable item (Namely, Inks and the Forgery Tools), as opposed to something that automatically bestows an effect on the owner, may be used at any time after you buy it.
    8. A rider can only have a total of three fire lizards, cats, or dogs, or combination of those. Colors will be determined randomly.
    9. When using inks, the colors can cover as much of the skin as you want, but please keep your design requests reasonable, for my sanity's sake (if not that of the artist tattooing said dragon XD). You can feel free to request whatever you want, but I may not be up to doing insanely intricate markings. It never hurts to ask, anyway. Smile
    10. When requesting colors for felines and canines, keep in mind that they must be realistic, including eye colors. Calicos and Tortoishells must be female, pointed (Siamese) cats always have blue eyes.

The following list is likely to be enlarged over time, and suggestions for new items are more than welcome. Smile
    Items
    15p: Cup of Klah: Raises alertness and slightly increases chances of searing and dodging Thread. One use.
    15p: Fire Lizard Egg: Will hatch soon after bought.
    25p: Kitten: A pet for your rider/weyrling. Color is chosen randomly.
    25p: Puppy: A pet for your rider/weyrling. Three breeds--Terrier, Hound, Spitz (Wolfish). Color is chosen randomly.
    35p: Feline Breeder: Pay a bit more and you can have the pick of the litter. (Request specific colors and patterns.)
    35p: Canine Breeder: Pay a bit more and you can have the pick of the litter. (Request specific colors and patterns).
    35p: Numbweed: Automatically heals 3 HP's worth of damage when injured. One use.
    35p: Lucky Charm: Raises chance of critical hits. Reusable.
    35p: Firestone: Increased chance of successfully searing Thread. Reusable.
    35p: Fellis Juice: Increases max HP by 3 points. One use.
    50p: Safety Straps: Increases chances of dodging Thread. Reusable.
    50p: Flamestone: Good chance to get +1 point for a successful searing. Tastes bad, though. Reusable.
    50p: F. Ink: Fire-lizard-sized bottles of ink for tattooing your pets. One color per 50p.
    50p: Extra Herdbeast: Boosts your dragon's energy, allowing it to last longer in battle. One extra turn, One use.
    75p: Good Numbweed: Automatically heals 5 HP's worth of damage when injured. One use.
    75p: Good Firestone: Good chance of successfully searing Thread. Reusable.
    75p: Wherhide Straps: Drastically increases chances of dodging Thread. Reusable.
    100p: Good Flamestone: Good chance to get +1 point for a successful searing. Still tastes terrible. Reusable.
    100p: Ink: White, Black, Blue, Bronze, Brown, Gold, Green, Red, Orange, Purple--Dragon-sized packages of ink for tattooing dragons. One color per 100p.
    150p: Rider's Will Forgery Tools: Allows you to buy back items from deceased riders for 50% of the original cost. One use per week (during Clutch, Hatching, and Mating rounds).
    350p: Between Rescue: Resurrect a dead rider. Once per character.

An exact explanation of what the items do (because if I can take full advantage of knowing it to maximize points, you should too):

Item effects
    Klah: 10% chance of negating injuries, 10% chance of of rerolling a miss, ignore damage
    Safety Straps: 25% chance of negating injuries
    Wherhide Straps: 50% chance of negating injuries
    Lucky Charm: 20% chance of turning a miss into a critical hit
    Firestone: 25% chance of rerolling a miss, ignore damage
    Good Firestone: 50% chance of rerolling a miss, ignore damage
    Flamestone: 25% chance of +1 point for successful searing
    Good Flamestone: 50% chance of +1 point for successful searing

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:06 pm