Whiterock Weyr

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whiterock Weyr

A dragon adoption game based on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern.

+2
Kitsuneko
Wolfram
6 posters

Fun Question!

Wolfram
    Wolfram

Fun Question! Empty Fun Question!

Post  Wolfram Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:13 pm

So, since we have this spiffy new general discussion forum, I thought I'd ask a general question.

How do you come up with names for your characters/dragons?

Personally, my riders are either named after RP characters I've had at Weyrs in the past, or names I've thought would sound good.

My dragons are all named for characters from the musical Elisabeth, though I'm running out of female character names, so I'll haveta think of a new theme soon.

Just kinda wanted to break the ice.
    Kitsuneko
    Kitsuneko
    Admin

Fun Question! Empty Re: Fun Question!

Post  Kitsuneko Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm

http://rinkworks.com/namegen/

I love this site so very much. Razz
    Dracleia
    Dracleia

Post  Dracleia Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:05 pm

Heh, that's too funny. I use the same name generator to come up with most of my character's names, as well as dragon names. I've also used Behind The Name as well, depending on whether I want to use something with a meaning. Some of them are based on other RP toons I've created in the past, but since I really am trying to get short stories written for most of them, I tend to make them try to shine on their own. After all, a lot of my past toons have their own dramas to take care of. Smile

Two of them are actually based on people I know, I might have to do that with more of my upcoming creations. Smile
    Kitsuneko
    Kitsuneko
    Admin

Post  Kitsuneko Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Oh, I forgot; I found a really old, Pern-based dos game awhile back. H'sache, and a few of my other riders, were taken from that, as well.
    http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=337
    Dracleia
    Dracleia

Post  Dracleia Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:47 pm

There's a newer Pern game out, it was alright. Windows 98 era, so the graphics are meh, but the storyline isn't half bad.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/014/014681.html
    EK
    EK

Post  EK Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:49 pm

At first, I was using names of characters from an original universe/story that I'm working on. Their dragon names corresponded to different aspects of the character in question, most of which were associated with various elemental forces. Then I used some names from an old RP I used to play for characters, and those dragons were given names that were based off of different companions or other things I associated with the original source. Now I'm using names from an AU fanfic story with dragon names based off of the originating character names.

Phew!
    erinnyes
    erinnyes

Post  erinnyes Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:08 am

I've played that old DOS game before, actually! I think it's just about impossible to do well on that game. >_> Or it's just me!

Never played Chronicles though, I heard too many reviews saying it was awful! No need to disappoint myself intentionally. Wink

I wish they would make an MMORPG Pern game... but, I guess we're just lucky that they're making a movie.
    Kitsuneko
    Kitsuneko
    Admin

Post  Kitsuneko Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 am

I cheat like a dog on the DOS Game. >.> I have a hex editor that I can use to hack my save files and make everyone like me. XP I never liked the negotiation aspect of it anyway.

...A Pern MMORPG is one that I might actually play. Shocked
    Kate
    Kate

Post  Kate Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:46 pm

I use old RP characters if I feel like, and the rinkworks name generator if I want to make a new character. I use rinkworks for prettymuch all of the dragon names.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm